LAMU (Xinhua) --
Kenyan security forces on Monday killed
three suspected al-Shabab militants shortly after an improvised
explosive device (IED) detonated, injuring two police officers
in Kiunga, Lamu town, near Kenya-Somalia border.
Lusava, Lamu East deputy commissioner confirmed the incident in
the coastal town of Lamu, saying the IED believed to have been
planted by the militants was targeting security units on patrol
in the area.
"I have received information of the IED attack somewhere in
Kiunga towards the Somalia border but I don’t have the details.
"So I can’t even say how many have been injured or killed and
whether they are terrorists or security officers," Lusava said.
"The area is under the multi-agency security operation Linda
Boni, they are better placed with the details," he added.
A police officer in Kiunga confirmed that three militants
were killed during the incident.
"My unit was among the first responders to the scene shortly
after the RBPU (Rapid Border Patrol Unit) had been ambushed.
"We counted three bodies belonging to al-Shabab militants.
"They were dressed in jungle green military regalia and had
around their necks, flags similar to those used by the militia
group," said the officer who declined to be named.
He said they suspect the militants might have been around 30
owing to the number of footprints located inside the bushes
where they hid.
"We can’t tell the exact number as they were obviously hiding
so they can ambush these officers but we counted tens of
different footprint patterns which suggested they were about 30
"Two officers were fatally wounded but have been flown out of
Lamu for treatment," the police officer said.
The police believe that the militant group still remains the
major threat in areas along the common border, noting that the
targets include security personnel and establishments along the
border as well as commuter vehicles plying routes along the
border and coastal regions.
Somalia forces kill 15 al-Shabab
militants after hotel attack
MOGADISHU Somalia (Xinhua) --
At least 15 al-Shabab militants were
killed on Saturday in a military operation in Somalia’s southern
regions barely a day after the terrorist group claimed more than
20 lives in a deadly attack.
Somali National Army (SNA) forces senior commander said
Sunday the forces conducted an offensive against al-Shabab in
Wanlaweyn town in Lower Shabelle region.
"Our forces advanced to take control of areas from al-Shabab
extremists. We killed 15 of them and captured Yaq Buraweyne,
Madah Marodi and Idow Jalad villages," SNA commander in charge
of the 35th division Mohamed Abdullahi Arale said.
He added that the forces will proceed with the operations
until they drive the militants out of the entire Lower Shabelle
Residents said they heard the sound of heavy gun fight
between the militants and the army.
"A fierce battle broke out in Yaq Buraweyne village between
government forces and al-Shabab militants, both sides fought for
a while but government troops are now in the town and the
militants withdrew from it," Jamal Ga’al , a local resident told
Xinhua by phone.
Somali forces have stepped up operations on al-Shabab
extremists in central and southern regions to flush the
militants out of those regions.
Kenya calls for joint
counter-terrorism efforts after Somali attack
NAIROBI (Xinhua) --
Kenya on Saturday called on the world to unite in
the fight against global terrorism after Somali militant group
al-Shabab killed 26 people, among them three Kenyans, in
Monica Juma, foreign affairs cabinet secretary, also urged
the international community to hasten the listing of al-Shabab
as a terrorist organization under the United Nations Security
Council (UNSC) Resolution 1267 to help deal with the al-Qaida
allied terrorist group.
"Claimed by the Al Shabaab, this attack is another reminder
to the international community of the imperative to list the Al
Shabaab, like all other terrorist groups, under the UNSC
resolution 1267, and strengthen collective resolve in countering
terrorist actions and ideology," she said in a tweet.
"I convey my deepest condolences to the families and friends
of the people that lost their lives to yesterday’s terrorist
attack in Kismayo, Somalia," said Juma.
Jubbaland State president Ahmed Mohamed Madobe said 10
foreigners from Kenya, Canada, America and Tanzania were among
those killed when an al-Shabab suicide bomber rammed a vehicle
loaded with explosives into the popular Medina hotel in Kismayo
town, before attackers forced their way inside the hotel.
Somali journalists’ association has confirmed that two
journalists were among the dead.
Al-Shabab, which is trying to topple Somalia’s central
government, has claimed responsibility for the attack on Friday.