Safi Ethanol Cooker


THE MOST FROM THE COAST !

..


 Coastweek website


XINHUA NEWS SERVICE REPORTS FROM THE AFRICAN CONTINENT

 

 

 
 
 WEDNESDAY UPDATES  
 
  .
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta confirms terror
attack is now officially over with 14 fatalities

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta announced Wednesday the end of a security operation following a terror attack on a hotel and office complex in the country’s capital, killing 14.

Kenyatta told a televised news conference that all the terrorists who have attacked the Dusit D2 Hotel complex have been killed, ending the 18-hour-long terror attack.

The security teams have evacuated Kenyans and foreigners from the buildings during the operation.

"We are grieving as a country this morning and my heart and that of every Kenyan goes out to the innocent men and women violated by senseless violence," said Kenyatta.

The president vowed to enhance the fight against global terrorism, saying "terrorism will never defeat us."

A mortuary attendant, who declined to be named, said earlier in the day that 15 people were killed as security officers engaged the terrorists in a gunfight on one of the hotel floors.

He said most of those killed are Kenyans and two are foreigners, and the U.S. State Department has confirmed that one of the victims was an American citizen.

On Tuesday, United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemned the "terrorist attack."

UN General Assembly President Maria Fernanda Espinosa Garces also condemned the attack.

"There is no justification for using terror and violence against innocent people," she said through her spokeswoman Monica Grayley.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called on all nations to combat terrorism after hearing the news of the attack, saying he condemns terrorism in all forms and manifestations.

The attack began at 3:00 p.m.(1200 GMT) Tuesday, said security officers.

Joseph Boinnet, inspector general of National Police Service, said the terrorists began their onslaught by setting ablaze three vehicles at a bank parking lot before moving to the DusitD2 complex.

At the entrance of the hotel, the assailants carried out a suicide explosion, injuring several people, said Boinnet.

Witnesses said the gang arrived at the hotel entrance and alighted before one of them started to shoot aimlessly.

The gunshots alerted police guarding the Australian embassy, which is located close to the hotel.

The officers rushed there and engaged the gunmen in a gunfight, deflating the car that the terrorists had.

The officers managed to drive the terrorists to the hotel’s main entrance, where guards on duty escaped on foot from the shootout, said Shadrack Kirui, a witness.

It was at that point that one of the attackers lobbed a grenade at three cars parked at the main barrier, setting them on fire.

The terrorists then proceeded to the main hotel lobby where one of them detonated an explosive device he had on his body.

Somalia-based terrorist group al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility for the attack.

The group has been targeting Kenya-Somalia border areas and killing innocent citizens since Kenyan soldiers entered Somalia in 2011 to secure the two countries’ shared border.
.

EARLIER REPORTS:

More people rescued from site of terror attack by
al shabaab in Kenyan capital: 15 reported killed

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- More people were evacuated early Wednesday from the site of a terror attack at an upmarket hotel and office complex in the Kenyan capital, Nairobi, following fresh blasts and gunshots, several hours after officials said that the situation was under control.

Live broadcast by local NTV station showed one of the evacuees saying people holed up in places like toilets for hours before police came to their rescue.

Cabinet Secretary for Interior and Coordination of National Government Fred Matiang’i said late Tuesday that security teams have evacuated scores of Kenyans and other nationalities from the buildings after a nine-hour operation.

"We are now in the final stages of mopping up the area and securing evidence and documenting the consequences of this unfortunate event," he told journalists.

"I can now report that the country is now secure and that the nation remains calm, that Kenyans and all our visitors are now safe," he added.

The DusitD2 complex, which houses several multi-national offices and a hotel, is located in the leafy Riverside area of Westlands, Nairobi.

About four gunmen armed with rifles and grenades drove to the 14 Riverside Drive at around 3 p.m. local time and staged a deadly attack, leaving a trail of destruction.

"We have secured all the buildings that had been affected.

"The situation is under control and the country is safe.

"Terrorism will never defeat us.

"We will not surrender or bend," Matiang’i said.

He did not say how many people were killed or injured in the attack, but there were reports that 15 people were killed.

The U.S. State Department has confirmed that one of the victims was an American citizen.

Joseph Boinnet, Inspector General of Police, said earlier that the terrorists began their onslaught by setting ablaze three vehicles at the I&M Bank parking lot before moving to the Dusit D2 complex.

At the entrance of the hotel, Boinnet said the assailants carried out a suicide explosion, injuring several people.

"This criminal activity commenced at about 3 o’clock in a coordinated fashion that began with an attack at I&M Bank with an explosion that targeted three vehicles on the parking lot and suicide explosion in the foyer at Dusit hotel where a number of guests suffered severe injuries," said Boinnet.

He said a multi-agency special security team had made progress to regain control of the hotel where the gunmen are holed up.

"Owing to swift and targeted response by our security agencies, the situation has been largely contained and six out of the seven floors of the hotel building have been secured," said Boinnet.

Al-Shabab, a Somalia-based terrorist group, claimed responsibility for the attack.
.

Kenyan official assures security situation under control after hotel attack

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- The Kenyan government said Tuesday security situation in the country is under control after an unknown number of terrorists attacked an upmarket hotel and office complex in the capital, Nairobi, and killed at least six people.

Fred Matiang’i, Cabinet Secretary for Interior and Coordination of National Government, said that security teams have evacuated scores of Kenyans and other nationalities from the buildings after a nine-hour operation.

"We are now in the final stages of mopping up the area and securing evidence and documenting the consequences of this unfortunate event," he told journalists on Tuesday evening.

"I can now report that the country is now secure and that the nation remains calm, that Kenyans and all our visitors are now safe," he added.

The DusitD2 Complex which houses several multi-national offices and hotel is located in the leafy Riverside area of Westlands, Nairobi.

About four gunmen armed with rifles and grenades drove to the 14 Riverside Drive at around 3 p.m. local time and staged a deadly attack, leaving a trail of destruction.

Police said the gang arrived at the entrance of the DusitD2 hotel and alighted before one of them started to shoot aimlessly.

The gang first shot and seriously wounded two students who were walking out of the hostel.

The gunshots alerted police guarding the nearby Australian embassy.

The officers rushed there and engaged the gunmen in a gunfight deflating the saloon car that they had.

It was at that point that one of the attackers lobbed a grenade at three cars that were parked at the main barrier, setting them on fire. They were burnt to ashes.

The terrorists then proceeded to the main hotel lobby where one of them detonated an explosive device he had on his body.

His limb was blown out of the lobby to the main corridor about 40 meters away.

"We have secured all the buildings that had been affected. The situation is under control and the country is safe.

Terrorism will never defeat us. We will not surrender or bend," vowed Matiang’i.

Joseph Boinnet, Inspector General of Police, said the terrorists began their onslaught by setting ablaze three vehicles at the I&M Bank parking lot before moving to the DusitD2 complex.

At the entrance of the hotel, Boinnet said the assailants carried out a suicide explosion, injuring several people.

"This criminal activity commenced at about 3 o’clock in a coordinated fashion that began with an attack at I&M Bank with an explosion that targeted three vehicles on the parking lot and suicide explosion in the foyer at Dusit hotel where a number of guests suffered severe injuries," said Boinnet.

He pointed out that a multi-agency special security team had made progress to regain control of the hotel where the gunmen are holed up.

"Owing to swift and targeted response by our security agencies, the situation has been largely contained and six out of the 7 floors of the hotel building have been secured," said Boinnet.

Al-Shabab terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack, saying its fighters conducted a terrorist attack in upmarket Kenya, killing 47 people inside the hotel.
.

SEE ALSO:

Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta says 14 dead in hotel attack

Ugandan police put on high alert after terror attacks in Kenya

South African President condemns terrorist attacks in Kenya

United Nations chief condemns al shabab terrorism in Nairobi

Palestinian President Abbas condemns Nairobi terrorist attack

Kenyans use social media to embolden victims of hotel attack

 
 

 
 

 
 

Al-Shabab claim responsibility for Nairobi 'Hotel Dusit D2' attack | Coastweek

 
 

 
  NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- CLOCKWISE FROM TOP LEFT: People embrace each other after safe evacuation near site of the attack at an upmarket hotel and office complex in Nairobi. Security forces are seen near the site where at least three people have been confirmed dead and several others injured. Smoke rises from the hotel during the security operation to pacify the al shabaab gunmen. Security forces bring in reinforcements near the luxury four star 'Dusit D2 Hotel' in Nairobi. XINHUA PHOTOS -WANG TENG and LYU SHUAI  
 

 
 
 TUESDAY: TERRORISM IN CITY SUBURB   
 
  .
Al-Shabab claim responsibility for Nairobi 'Hotel Dusit D2' attack

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- Somali terrorist group al-Shabab on Tuesday claimed responsibility for the attack on a hotel in Kenyan capital, Nairobi.

The al-Qaida linked group which made the claim through its affiliate account did not give the number of casualties in the attack, in which the police say they are treating as a "terrorist attack" on Dusit D2 Hotel located in the business complex in Nairobi.

The complex has several government and private offices, including the hotel which is frequented by foreigners.

The claim came as security officers have managed to contain fire and people are being evacuated while the injured have been rushed to the hospital.

Earlier reports said an explosion following gunfire rocked the business complex in Nairobi on Tuesday.

Plumes of white smoke could be seen billowing from the scene into the air amid sustained gunfire.

Police officers have been deployed to the hotel compound along Riverside Drive which has several offices and hotels.
.

UPDATES:

At least three people have been killed in Nairobi hotel attack: Police

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- At least three people have been confirmed dead and several others injured following an attack at an upmarket hotel and office complex in Nairobi on Tuesday, police said.

A police officer at the scene said a multi-agency police task-force is manning the situation on ground after six armed men stormed inside dusitD2 Hotel and are suspected to be holed up inside the hotel.

Somali terrorist group al-Shabab claimed responsibility for the attack but the al-Qaida linked group did not give details on the motive of the attack.

The police confirmed the attack, saying its specialized units are on site at 14 Riverside Drive to engage the attackers.

"Police wishes to confirm that there has been an attack incident along 14 Riverside Drive.

"The area has since been cordoned off and motorists are advised to use alternative routes to facilitate smooth operations of the Police," the police said in a statement.

Witnesses said the armed attackers arrived at the business complex at around 3.30 p.m. local time, detonated grenades into parked vehicles before forcing their way into area by shooting at guards.

The complex has several government and private offices, including the hotel which is frequented by foreigners.

Earlier reports said an explosion following gunfire rocked the business complex in Nairobi on Tuesday.

Plumes of white smoke could be seen billowing from the scene into the air amid sustained gunfire, according to witnesses.

The hotel compound is located along Riverside Drive which has several offices and hotels.

Kenyan authorities have been struggling to keep the country safe in recent years.

More than 60 people were killed when masked gunmen stormed a popular shopping mall in the Kenyan capital Nairobi and held shoppers hostages in September 2013.
.

Gunmen still in armed standoff with police in Nairobi hotel attack

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- Police and counter terrorist forces are still fighting on Tuesday evening to regain control of a hotel and office complex in the center of Nairobi following an attack at the place.

Inspector-general Joseph Boinnet said the police were still battling the terrorists on Tuesday evening, and had not confirmed the number of those killed, injured or rescued from the scene.

"We are aware that the armed criminals are holding up in the hotel and specialists’ forces are currently flushing them out," he said.

A helicopter has been seen flying low at the scene and some Kenyan hospitals are appealing for blood donations.

Foreign embassies in Kenya issued security alerts to their citizens following the terrorist attack, for which Somali militant group al-Shabab claimed responsibility.
.

EARLIER REPORT:

Gunshots and explosions rock business complex in Nairobi

NAIROBI (Xinhua) -- A blast following gunfire rocked Kenya’s business complex in the capital, Nairobi on Tuesday mid afternoon.

Several police officers have been deployed to Nairobi’s Dusit D2 hotel along Riverside Drive which has several offices and hotels.

Plumes of white smoke could be seen billowing from the scene into the air amid sustained gunfire as several residents scamper for safety.

A continent of security officers have been dispatched to the scene to help contain the fire.

The cause of the fire and gunfire is not clear.

 
 

 

             

 

Remember: you read it first at coastweek.com !


Zanzibar Serena Hotels banner | Coastweek

 

TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEB SITE:  www.coastweek.com
Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail: info@coastweek.com

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459
e-mail: anjum@asodia.co.ke

 
    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: info@coastweek.com