THE MOST FROM THE COAST !

..


 Coastweek website


XINHUA NEWS SERVICE REPORTS FROM THE AFRICAN CONTINENT

 

Border authorities in Zimbabwe and
South Africa, brace for festive season

HARARE Zimbabwe (Xinhua) -- Zimbabwean and South African border control authorities have intensified their coordination to reduce congestion at the Beitbridge border post as thousands of Zimbabweans flock back home for the festive season.

Assistant regional immigration officer in charge of Beitbridge (Zimbabwe) Nqobile Ncube said that they had since harmonized operations with their South African counterparts for the period from Dec. 15 to Jan. 15, state media the Herald newspaper reported Wednesday.

He said the volume of incoming traffic had relatively increased and they expected it to surge until Christmas Eve.

Zimbabweans make up the largest group of immigrants in South Africa with estimates ranging from 1 million to 5 million.

He advised travelers to travel early to avoid the last-minute rush.

The Beitbridge border post, which is one of the busiest inland ports in Southern Africa, is usually heavily congested during the festive season as immigration and customs officials struggle to cope with the influx of people.

.

EARLIER REPORTS:

South Africa police probing two killings linked to suspected xenophobia

JOHANNESBURG South Africa (Xinhua) -- South African police are investigating murder charges after two men were burnt to death in Durban last week.

Kwazulu-Natal Police spokesperson Captain Nqobile Gwala told Xinhua on Monday, “Two bodies of unknown men were found burnt at Nkangala area, Adams Mission. The deceased are unknown and the DNA tests will be conducted.”

It is alleged that the bodies belong to two foreigners named Alex Msambya and Claude Mazuruza. They were believed to be beaten to death and set alight by community members.

Africa Solidarity Network (Asonet) Secretary General Daniel Dunia told Xinhua that while the DNA tests are yet to be finalized, the families of the deceased have positively identified them.

“After looking for them, their families identified their remains at the mortuary. We are still in the dark about why they were burnt, but we know this is xenophobia related. Foreigners have been burnt in other cases,” Dunia said.

Both men had been living in South Africa for over five years. While one was a refugee, the other was an asylum seeker.

Dunia blamed some local opposition parties for fueling anti-migrants views, adding that worrying tensions between locals and foreigners should be addressed before more people lose their lives.

South Africa has experienced sporadic xenophobic attacks over the past decade. More than six people were killed when such attacks broke out in Kwazulu-Natal in 2015. Thousands of people were displaced, some had to return to their countries of birth.

             

 

Remember: you read it first at coastweek.com !


 

TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEB SITE:  www.coastweek.com
Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail: info@coastweek.com

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459
e-mail: anjum@asodia.co.ke

 
    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: info@coastweek.com