Coastweek website



Kenya's Gor Mahia beat Tanzania's Simba and win trip to Britain

NAKURU (Xinhua) -- Rwanda internationals, Meddie Kagere and Jacques Tuyisenge fired holders Gor Mahia FC to Goodison Park in Britain to play Everton FC after the club retained the SportPesa Super Cup with a classy 2-0 victory over Simba SC on Sunday.

It took only three minutes for Kagere to break the deadlock in the battle of the Kenyan and Tanzanian league champions before his countryman Tuyisenge produced a stylish in the 55th to send most at a jam-packed Afraha Stadium into orbit.

Simba simply had no answer as Gor comfortably rounded the victory to earn a chance to revenge against Everton at their own backyard after the first meeting in Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania last year ended in a 1-2 defeat in head coach Dylan Kerr’s first game in charge of the SportPesa Premier League titleholders.

In addition to winning a dream trip to England, Gor also earned the 30,000 U.S. dollars in prize money as Harun Shakava became the second club captain to lift the Super Cup trophy after Musa Mohammed who left the club at the end of last season.

Their march to the title has been nothing short of a majestic procession, opening their defence by thrashing Jeshi la Kujenga Uchumi SCZ from Zanzibar 3-0 in the quarters before knocking out plucky Tanzanian side, Singida United 2-0 in the semis.

For the second Super Cup in a row, Kagere won the Golden Boot after notching four for the invitational eight-team tournament this year, one better than last year as he became the first player to score in all rounds of the Super Cup since its inception.

He was duly named the 2018 Super Cup Most Valuable Player with his coach Kerr giving him and fellow goal scorer, Tuyisenge the chance to earn the standing ovation they deserved by withdrawing the pair with a minute left on the clock.


Gor Mahia coach relishes a final clash with former club Simba SC in Super Cup

NAKURU (Xinhua) -- British head coach, Dylan Kerr had made it public he fancied a final between his current side Gor Mahia FC against his former employers Simba SC in the Super Cup, a eight-team invitational tournament in Africa.

After two contrasting semifinals, Kerr met his wish as his side Gor Mahia, the Kenyan league winners,

silenced Singida United FC 2-0 inn a rain-swept Afraha Stadium, Nakuru, while Tanzanian title holders Simba SC toiled to a 0-0 draw before surviving a tense shootout against SPL side Kakamega Homeboyz 5-4 on penalties on Thursday.

"We were great right from the kickoff, lots of chances as well and we are happy with the win.

"A great result for the boys and I’m very proud of them," said Kerr, who opened his Gor Mahia reign with a 2-1 loss to Everton in Dar-es-Salaam last year.

Gor Mahia are close to retain the Super Cup and grab the chance to play English Premier League side Everton FC in Britain again if they can maintain their momentum in Sunday’s final at the same venue.

Kerr has unfinished business with Simba SC, the side he joined in 2015 as head coach and led them to a top three finish only to leave after a season to become an coach at the under-18 academy in Chesterfield in his native England.

Gor Mahia plucked him from Chesterfield and on July 5, 2017 was confirmed as the new head coach of the Kenyan giants and after the Everton defeat, he led the side to claim their record 16th domestic crown.

"The final will be a great game and I’m glad the fans came out today (Thursday) despite the rain and I urge them all to come on Sunday. We have to keep believing and playing good football.

"I like our attitude and desire throughout the tournament," he added.

While others have stuttered and flattered to deceive, Kerr’s charges have sunk five goals and conceded none, continuing an imperious record in the Super Cup that now on its second edition.

"We did the best we could against the Kenyan champions.

"We should have created more chances but that’s the game of football and we just have to accept it," beaten Singida coach, Suleiman Hemed conceded.

Simba, who are yet to concede in the 2018 edition are next in the firing line and on paper at least, will need all their bank-vault like defense to withstand its severest test yet to loosen Gor’s grip on the Super Cup and mug the favorites on their home turf.

The final slated for Sunday will be preceded by the bronze medal match between Singida and Homeboyz, the losing semifinalists where the winners will pocket 7,500 U.S. dollars and the beaten team will take home 5,000 U.S. dollars.

Besides the Everton game, the eventual Super Cup champions will nail 30,000 dollars in cash and their captain will lift the gleaming golden trophy.

Kenyan and Tanzanian league winners to face off in SportPesa final

NAKURU (Xinhua) -- Kenyan and Tanzanian league winners, Gor Mahia FC and Simba SC will battle for the 2018 SportPesa Super Cup title on Sunday, after the regional titans won their respective semifinals on Thursday.

Simba were the first side through, after edging Kenyan outfit Kakamega Homeboyz 5-4 on post-match penalties following a barren stalemate in regulation time.

Meanwhile, a brace from Rwandan international Meddie Kagere fired cup holders Gor Mahia to a 2-0 victory over Singida United of Tanzania.

The winners will receive 30,000 U.S. dollars and will travel to England to play a friendly against English Premier League side Everton next month.

The final takes place on June 10, following the third-place play-off match between Homeboyz and Singida.

Former Everton striker and Nigeria captain Yakubu Aiyegbeni was the guest of honor during the semifinals of the invitational regional tournament that is running its second edition in Nakuru, 160km from Kenya’s capital Nairobi.

Kagere netted in the 35th and 90th minutes of the second semifinal to send Gor through to their second successive final in a match played in torrential rain.

His brace took his tally to three for the tournament, leaving him on course to claim a second successive Golden Boot, having claimed the top scorer’s crown last year in Tanzania, where he also scored three times in as many games.

Gor thus became the only side to finish all their Super Cup games inside 90 minutes, and will head into Sunday’s final as favorites, as they are yet to lose on home soil this year.

The Nairobi outfit shut out Zanzibar league winners Jeshi la Kujenga Uchumi 3-0 in their quarterfinal on Sunday to book their place in the last four.

"We have to keep believing and playing good football.

"I like our attitude and desire throughout the tournament," said Gor’s English head coach Dylan Kerr after the match.

Simba, who advanced to the last four after defeating fellow Kenyan side Kariobangi Sharks 3-2 on penalties, found Homeboyz a tough nut to crack, as their evenly-matched game ended goalless after both halves of regular play.

Remember: you read it first at coastweek.com !


TO ADVERTISE ON THIS WEB SITE:  www.coastweek.com
Please contact

MOMBASA - GULSHAN JIVRAJ, Mobile: 0722 775164 Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130 /
Wireless: 020 3549187 e-mail: info@coastweek.com

NAIROBI - ANJUM H. ASODIA, Mobile: 0733 775446 Tel: (+254) (020) 3744459
e-mail: anjum@asodia.co.ke

    © Coastweek Newspapers Limited               Tel: (+254) (41) 2230130  |  Wireless: 020 3549187  |  E-mail: info@coastweek.com