JUBA South Sudan (Xinhua) --
South Sudanese President Salva Kiir has rejected demands by
several groups that he should step down as a precondition for
ending more than four years of civil war in the east African
people who are fighting with us have very unreasonable
conditions to make peace,” president Kirr said on Tuesday
evening during an occasion to mourn the country’s fallen army
chief, James Ajongo who died in Egypt last week.
want me to sign the agreement and then step down immediately.
What is my incentive in bringing peace if it is peace that I
will bring and then I step aside? Nobody can do it,” the South
Sudanese leader said.
alliance of eight opposition groups who are part of South
Sudan’s peace negotiations early this month called for president
Kiir to resign as part of the peace deal.
groups also demanded that president Kiir and his former deputy,
Riek Machar who now leads an opposition group, the Sudan
People’s Liberation Army in Opposition (SPLA-IO), be excluded
from the unity government.
has dismissed the demands as being unreasonable.
Sudan descended into civil war in late 2013, and the conflict
has created one of the fastest growing refugee crises in the
estimates about 4 million South Sudanese have been displaced
internally and externally.
deal signed in August 2015 between the rival leaders under
United Nations pressure led to the establishment of a
transitional unity government in April 2016, which was shattered
months later by renewed fighting in July.
round of peace talks spearheaded by the East African bloc,
Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) was scheduled
to be convened in Ethiopia on April 26, but IGAD last week
postponed the negotiations to a date yet to be announced.
Red Cross halts operations
in northern South Sudan after gun attack
JUBA South Sudan (Xinhua) --
The International Committee of the Red
Cross (ICRC) said on Monday that it has suspended aid delivery
in the northern South Sudanese region of Leer, following a gun
attack on its compound.
said in a statement that armed men fired shots at its base in
Leer on the night of April 10, injuring one of its security
guards in the leg.
relief agency said it has halted distribution of much needed
seeds and farming tools to an estimated 24,600 people due to
shocked and disappointed by this attack, which is not only an
attack on the ICRC, but also on the people we are here to
assist,” said Francois Stamm, the ICRC’s head of delegation in
workers are not a target and attacks such as this only compound
the suffering of the South Sudanese people,” he added.
said security conditions for humanitarian workers have
deteriorated in recent weeks in the region, adding that the
suspension of aid operations there would hamper efforts to fight
worsening food insecurity.
attack has meant that 16,000 people have now been left without
the supplies they need to plant their crops at a time when food
security is worsening across the country,” said Stamm.
one of two areas where famine was officially declared in the
world’s youngest nation last year, and it also remains a major
flashpoint in the country’s nearly five-year-long civil war.
the second time in less than a year that the Red Cross suspended
operations in parts of South Sudan.
September last year, the ICRC briefly stopped operations after
one of its drivers was shot dead during a road ambush in the
former Western Equatoria State.
this opportunity to remind all parties to the conflict that any
attack on humanitarian aid workers is unacceptable and a
violation of international humanitarian law,” Stamm stressed.
has described South Sudan as one of the deadliest countries for
the delivery of humanitarian aid. At least 90 aid workers have
been killed and dozens captured by armed groups since the east
African country slid into violence in December 2013.
UN mission probes sexual
exploitation allegations in South Sudan
JUBA South Sudan (Xinhua) --
The United Nations peacekeeping mission in South
Sudan said on Tuesday that it has launched investigations into
allegations of sexual exploitation by a unit of Nepalese
peacekeepers based in South Sudan.
United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) said in a
statement that four teenagers were caught on April 13 trying to
enter its base in the central town of Aweil through the
UNMISS said it was alleged that one of the teenaged girls had
been touched inappropriately by a member of the Nepalese
contingent in exchange for money.
UNMISS however denied earlier media allegations of rape, adding
that the matter has been reported to the Office of Internal
Oversight Services (OIOS), an independent body within the UN.
UNMISS deployed a Sexual Exploitation and Abuse Immediate
Response Team (IRT) to Aweil to gather information and preserve
evidence prior to the launch of an investigation by the
troop-contributing country concerned,” said the UN mission.
it has notified the Nepalese government about the allegations
and that Nepal is in the process of appointing a probe team.
UNMISS has a zero tolerance, no excuses and no second chances
approach to sexual exploitation and abuse. It is committed to
putting the victims’ rights and dignity first and ensuring that
there is transparency and accountability for such actions,” the
February, the UNMISS recalled a unit of 46 Ghanaian police
officers from the northwestern town of Wau and confined them to
their base in Juba following allegations that the blue helmets
engaged in sexual activity with women under their protection in
a UN Protection of Civilians (POC) site.
Sudan government spokesman Michael Makuei Lueth described the
latest sexual accusations as disturbing and called for a review
of the UNMISS mandate in the east African nation.
continuous abuse of our people by people who are supposed to
protect them is serious and disturbing,” Makuei told Xinhua by
phone. “We want the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) we signed
with the UNMISS to be reviewed so that people who commit
individual offenses can face the law in South Sudan.”
UN Security Council extends
modified mandate of UNISFA
UNITED NATIONS New York (Xinhua) --
The United Nations Security Council on Monday
extended until Oct. 15, 2018 a modification to the mandate of
the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA).
Unanimously adopting resolution 2412, the Council renewed the
modifications set forth in resolution 2024 (2011) and paragraph
1 of resolution 2075 (2012), both relating to UNISFA’s support
for a Joint Border Verification and Monitoring Mechanism.
terms, the Council decided the extension would be the final
until the parties took action leading to progress on border
Council also decided to maintain UNISFA’s authorized troop
ceiling of 4,791 until Oct. 15, 2018, and further that, as of
that date, the ceiling would decrease to 4,250, unless the
Council decided to extend the mandate modification.
is a UN peacekeeping force in Abyei, which is contested between
the Republic of Sudan and the newly independent Republic of
South Sudan. UNISFA was approved on June 27, 2011 by the Council
in resolution 1990 after a flareup in the South Kordofan
conflict earlier in June 2011.