KHARTOUM Sudan (Xinhua) --
Sudan government on Saturday announced mediation, led by
Germany, Uganda and other countries, to convince Sudanese armed groups of
reaching peace deal with Khartoum, Sudanese Media Center (SMC) reported.
"The movements and rejecting parties are obstinate in implementing the roadmap
which was signed upon," said Ahmed Bilal Osman, Sudan’s information minister and
government spokesman, quoted by SMC.
He reiterated Sudan government’s readiness to negotiate with the rebels of
the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM)/ northern sector and the Darfur
armed movements according to the negotiation references for each category.
The negotiation with the Darfur movements would be according to the
negotiation reference of the Doha Document for Peace in Darfur, he said.
He also reiterated Sudan government’s commitment to implementing the items of
the African Union (AU) roadmap, and the ceasefire.
The Sudanese government unilaterally signed in Addis Ababa of Ethiopia the
AU-proposed roadmap agreement in March of 2016, which stipulates arrangements
related to ceasefire in South Kordofan, Blue Nile and Darfur regions, entering a
peace process and involving the armed movements in the national dialogue
currently convened in Khartoum.
In August of 2016, the major Sudanese armed movements joined the roadmap
Sudan has been fighting the rebel Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM)/ northern
sector in South Kordofan and Blue Nile states since 2011.
It has also been fighting armed groups in Darfur since 2003.
African Union mediator starts meetings in
Khartoum ahead of new peace talks
KHARTOUM Sudan (Xinhua) --
African Union Chief Mediator Thabo Mbeki started a series of meetings here on
Thursday ahead of a new round of peace talks between the Sudanese government and
rebels of Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM)/northern sector and Darfur
Mbeki, the head of African Union High-Level Implementation Panel on Sudan (AUHIP),
first met with Ibrahim Mahmoud Hamid, Sudan’s presidential assistant and head of
the government’s negotiating team.
"It has been agreed on continuation of the AUHIP’s efforts relating to
achieving peace in Sudan and involving the armed groups in the national dialogue
document," said Hamid at a press conference following the meeting.
The Sudanese official reiterated the government’s readiness to resume talks
with the rebels of the SPLM/northern sector and the Darfur armed groups.
"We are waiting for the response of the armed movements and Mbeki’s
consultations with those movements to determine a date for the resumption of the
talks," he said.
Later on Thursday, Mbeki will meet with Sudan’s First Vice-President Bakri
Hassan Saleh, Sudan’s opposition leader Al-Sadiq al-Mahdi and the higher
committee for implementation of outcomes of the national dialogue.
He is also expected to meet with Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, the date
has yet to be fixed.
So far, 10 rounds of peace talks between the Sudanese government and the SPLM/northern
sector and Darfur armed groups have been held in the Ethiopian capital of Addis
Ababa, under the patronage of the African Union, but all failed to end the
The Sudanese government has been fighting the SPLM/northern sector in South
Kordofan and Blue Nile states since 2011. It has also been battling a group of
armed movements in the Darfur region since 2003.
Bashir says peace and economic growth top
agenda for Sudan
KHARTOUM (Xinhua) --
Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir on Monday said the priorities of the
government of national consensus are represented in laying down the pillars of
peace across country and resolving the economic issues.
Al-Bashir on Monday addressed the opening of the new session of Sudan’s
National Assembly (parliament), reviewing the accomplishments achieved in the
past and priorities of the coming government.
"The coming period will witness essential amendments reflecting the outcomes
of the national dialogue conference and priorities of the National Consensus
Government, which are represented in laying down the pillars of peace across the
country and generalizing the convention of national dialogue among all political
organizations to achieve interests," noted al-Bashir.
He vowed that the coming government would work to ensure peaceful transfer of
power, protection of the constitution, fostering the rule of law and
guaranteeing freedom of expression and organization for all the citizens.
He further explained that the economic program for the coming period would
stand on shifting toward production, coping with the movement in the investment
sector and working to attract external and national investments, reduce the
inflation rates and stabilize the exchange rate of the national currency.
Sudan is expected to witness appointment of a government of national
consensus involving the ruling National Congress Party and all parties and armed
movements which took part in the national dialogue conference.
In January 2014, al-Bashir declared an initiative calling on the opposition
parties and the armed groups to join a national dialogue to end the country’s
The sessions of the dialogue kicked off in October 2015 and concluded in
October 2016 with the approval of the national document formulated by the
participants in the conference.
The conference was launched with the participation of a number of Sudanese
political parties, civil society organizations and some Darfur armed groups.
However, major political parties and armed movements refused to participate
in the conference, including the Revolutionary Front Alliance, which brings
together the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM)/northern sector and the
major Darfur armed movements.
Sudan and France discuss security
situation in Darfur
KHARTOUM (Xinhua) -- Sudan
and France on Saturday discussed the security situation in Darfur and exit of
the United Nations - African Union Mission in Darfur (UNAMID) from the region.
A French delegation headed by deputy permanent representative to the United
Nations Alexis Lamek on Saturday held talks in Khartoum with Sudan’s foreign
ministry under-secretary Abdul-Ghani Al-Naeem.
"The French delegation discussed UNAMID’s activity and its exit strategy in
light of the positive developments and improvement of the situation in Darfur,
which necessitates reducing the size and forces of the mission according to
outcomes of the joint work group," said Sudan’s Foreign Ministry in a statement.
"Al-Naeem conveyed to the French delegation efforts of the Sudanese
government and partners to tackle the conditions of displaced people in Darfur
region together with efforts of the regular forces to collect the arms in the
region," according to the statement.
The Sudanese official further urged France to play a bigger positive role to
support the peace efforts in Sudan.
In February 2015, a tripartite committee composed of Sudan’s government, the
UN and the African Union, was formed with the aim to reach a deal on UNAMID’s
exit from Darfur.
UNAMID took over the peacekeeping task in Darfur from the African Union
Mission in Sudan (AMIS) on December 31, 2007.
The UNAMID is considered the second biggest peacekeeping mission in the
world, after the UN Mission in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
It consists of over 20,000 personnel of military, police and civilian
components, with a budget of 1.4 million U.S. dollars in 2013.
Khartoum denounces U.S. warning of no
travel to Sudan
KHARTOUM Sudan (Xinhua) --
Sudan government on Friday denounced a warning by the United
States for its citizens not to travel to Sudan for security risks, saying the
warning was not based on objective justifications.
"We express rejection of this warning, which does not consider the important
developments and great transformations witnessed in the country," said Sudan’s
Foreign Ministry in a statement Friday.
It said the warning "contradictory to reports by the United Nations, the
African Union and the Arab League which confirmed security and stability in
Darfur, South Kordofan and Blue Nile regions."
It added that the claim of terrorism in Sudan contradicts the commendations
made by heads of the American Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and other senior
U.S. officials, regarding the considerable efforts and great cooperation by
Sudan in combating terrorism and extremism.
The Sudanese foreign ministry further urged its U.S. counterpart to
objectively reconsider its inaccurate information, with the spirit of the
high-level and positive bilateral dialogue, which is progressing toward normal
On Thursday, the U.S. Department of State warned U.S. citizens not to travel
to Sudan due to what it termed as "risks of terrorism."
Additionally, the U.S. embassy required U.S. government personnel in Sudan to
use armored vehicles for all travel, and prohibited travel outside of Khartoum
without advance permission and extra security precautions.
Although the previous U.S. administration lifted the economic sanctions on
Sudan last January, the U.S. is still keeping Sudan on its list of countries
Khartoum criticizes UN demand for handing
over al-Bashir to ICC
KHARTOUM Sudan (Xinhua) --
Sudan government on Thursday criticized demand by deputy
spokesman for the UN Secretary-General to hand over Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir
to the International Criminal Court (ICC).
"I hope what he said does not represent the position of the UN
Secretary-General," Ibrahim Ghandour, Sudan’s Foreign Minister, told reporters
at Khartoum airport upon return of Al-Bashir after participating in the Arab
summit in Amman, Jordan.
"We will investigate through our diplomatic channels and via our mission in
New York to know who is behind this statement, whether it is individual or
representing the UN stance," he added.
He went on saying the UN is a comprehensive organization, where respecting a
president who is elected by people is important and necessary, besides that the
ICC does not belong to the UN and many countries are not members of it.
On Wednesday, Deputy Spokesman for the UN Secretary-General, Farhan Haq,
reportedly demanded handing over al-Bashir to the ICC coincident with his
participation in the 28th Arab Summit.
Haq was reportedly reiterated at a press conference at the UN headquarters in
New York that al-Bashir should be brought before the ICC to stand trial on
charges of committing "war crimes and crimes against humanity" in Sudan’s Darfur
He said the UN was urging all state parties to the Rome Statue, which is
founding to the ICC, to fulfill their commitments and hand over al-Bashir to the
In March 2009, the ICC issued an arrest warrant against al-Bashir for
allegedly committing war crimes in Sudan’s Darfur region.