(Xinhua) -- The Ugandan government on
Wednesday dismissed a human rights report that called for an
independent inquiry into the clashes between government forces
and a tribal group in Rwenzori region in the western part of the
New York headquartered Human Rights Watch in
its report issued on Wednesday said the clashes late last year
left over 150 people dead, including 15 children.
The organization called for an independent, impartial
fact-finding mission with international expertise into the
According to the government’s statement, government troops
clashed with a separatist tribal group in Kasese district in
November last year, leaving 103 people dead and arresting over
180 people including a local king.
Government spokesman Ofwono Opondo said the Human Rights
Watch report has several inconsistencies and flaws.
"The report lacks depth, especially on the genesis of the
near break down of law and order, which almost plunged the
Rwenzori Sub Region into anarchy.
"It deliberately omits the incidents that led to the security
forces to respond, not only to defend themselves but also to
maintain law and order," he said.
He noted that government figures show that 103 people died in
the clashes, not the Human Rights Watch figure of over 150
"Our record establishes that a total of 103 deaths were
"Out of these, 91 were male and 12 female, 16 of whom were
"A total of 51 bodies were unclaimed and were subsequently
buried in a public cemetery in Kasese," Ofwono said.
The clashes were between President Yoweri Museveni’s forces
and that of Charles Wesley Mumbere, king of a tiny mountain
kingdom known as the Rwenzururu, who has been accused of arming
his militia to seek independence.
The king was charged with treason in December, but was
released on bail in February.
The region of Kasese has been the hotbed of opposition to the
Ugandan government for decades.
The people there complain they have long been marginalized by